It\’s been 9,862 days since my sexual assault occured 27 years ago today. Over the decades, I have been tormented by fear, anxiety, and loss of trust in the world. I have wept, grieved, and experienced one of the most horrific things a woman can endure.
But today, I stand here a stronger woman. The man who sodomized me did not destroy me. The man who robbed me did not steal my pursuit of happiness. The man who fled from that hotel room didn\’t have within him what I had. I had resilence. Determination. God\’s grace. The love of family.
I came out the victor.
But how about all the other women who get harrassed, assaulted, raped? Will they recover? Will they have the belief to not give up hope of restoration?
Restoration came to me from many different places. In honor of 27 years, I\’ll give you 27 of the most important things that helped me.
- Counseling from a Psychologist
- Counseling from a Psychiatrist
- Beth Moore Bible Study
- Community Bible Study
- Writing my memoir
- Public speaking
- Being a mentor to other survivors
- Jesus Calling by Sarah Young
- The Anxiety Disease by David Sheehan, MD
- My family
- Writing a blog
- Writing in a journal
- Speaking at sexual assault conferences
- Reading about post traumatic stress disorder
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Learning to say no
- Recognizing when exhaustion can turn into depression
- Self care
- Anti depressants
- Learning about anxiety and depression and how they are cousins and often travel together
- Learning how to combat the evil cousins
- Finding my voice
- Using my voice to share there is hope